The original Kinkaid School House
Margaret Kinkaid started her school in her own home, adding additional teachers are the number of students increased.
Sketch of the original Kinkaid School
In September 1910, more students had enrolled in Margaret Kinkaid's school than anticipated. As the school grew, plans were quickly made to enlarge the Kinkaid's house. The original house was raised up and a new ground floor built beneath it.
By 1912, the entire house had been transformed into the school, with the Kinkaids moving to an apartment nearby.
The Richmond Campus, 1935
The Kinkaid School continued to its rapid growth. With the need to expand and the property next to the current school unavailable for purchase, Mrs. Kinkaid found it necessary to look for a new solution.
Sketch of the Richmond Campus
Working with R.L. Blaffer and several other of her students' parents, the Board of Trustees was organized with the mission of locating a proper site to build a new school.
Field Day, Richmond Campus, 1937
Classes started on the new Richmond Campus in 1924 with the new facilities only partially completed.
Entrance to the Richmond Campus, circa 1940s
1931 saw the Kinkaid School receive accreditation for Primary, Intermediate, and Junior High departments, as well as the first two years of High School. All four high school grades were added within a few years.
Mrs. Kinkaid finally retired in 1951. Sadly, she passed away at the end of that year following injuries sustained in an automobile accident.
John Cooper, who had become Headmaster in the summer of 1951, agreed that Kinkaid had yet again outgrown its current facilties and plans were made to build a school at a new location.